Friday 4 February 2011

Naked girl, naked girl... Christian hostel.

Well, not completely naked. But they weren't wearing much, that's for sure. This was my first night in Amsterdam and the shameless prostituion in the well known Red Light District was hard to miss.

I was heading to the hostel I was staying at for the night--a Christian hostel, I had been told, where there was a possibility I could work and stay there for free. But as I was walking, I got the feeling I was heading the wrong way as the number of barely dressed women increased. Naked girl, naked girl... Christian hostel--I turned a corner and there it was. One hour in and I knew Amsterdam would be an interesting city.

Here are some things I've noticed over the past few days:

-Everyone bikes. Everyone. I guess most Americans (myself included) have this type of attitude towards bikes: "As a driver I hate pedestrians, and as a pedestrian I hate drivers, but no matter what the mode of transportation, I always hate cyclists" But here it's normal, almost essential, to cycle most places. Parking is hard to find and super expensive when you do find it.

-The term "coffeeshop" does not reefer (intentially spelled wrong) to a cafe type restaurant in which one may go to ejnoy a nice cup of joe. Well, maybe you can get a good cup of coffee, but that isn't their main item of interest. I don't know, I guess "Weedshop" or "Marijuanashop" don't have the same ring to it.

-Almost everyone speaks a decent amount of English. This is probably because the Netherlands and northern Belgium are the only places where the people speak Dutch (I think) so it's necessary to learn English. This fact has ben very helpful... especially when I'm lost. It'd be tough to be in a country where I dont understand anyone and no one understands me.

-"Hi my name is Amsterdam..." All other cities attending meeting "Hiii Amsterdam." Amsterdam continues, "...and I'm a sex addict" Seriously, this place really loves their sex. Sex museums, sex shops, sex for sale, live sex shows. It's crazy and impossible to miss.

I hope to find out more about the city as I'm here. I'm gonna do the work and live for free thing at the hostel for the next four weeks so I'll be here a while. Yea, I guess that's all for now.

[Insert short, possibly witty sentence to end blog entry here]

1 comment:

  1. Dude, wait. Wait for Heaven. You only got, like, 88ish years. Amsterdamn is filth and I fear for your indelible soul. Heaven, however, is WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE - God's so #@!! happy you overcame the world, God'll letchu have everything and anything and more. Here's what I'm having --- Wanna be at my BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy celebrating our resurrection for maaany eons in Heaven Above? Nekkid floating, beyond-beautiful-bongs, firecracker-colors never before seen, and pleasure-beyond-measure? You’re more than welcome; you’re so definitely invited --- But, alas, few can handle the TRUTH anymore in this superSILLYous age fulla whorizontal deceit - most of U.S. believe only in the relativism of this zoo-illogical psychosis. Egad! Can you? HooRayGun, sez Ronald Raygun! God - Bless - You. See ya soon for our everlasting journey beyond the clouds. See ya soon, dude.

    ReplyDelete