Friday 11 March 2011

My dichotomy of desires

Dichotomy is another one of those words that makes me sound smarter than I am. Also plethora. I like throwing that one out there from time to time.

Anyway, some of you, whoever "you" is, may know my trip's story and others may not. Here's the short version:

-set off on my big Euro-trip with big plans to see lots of places.
-planned on using a student loan to fund this trip.
-found out last second that the money wasnt coming.
-survived using a mix of generosity and hospitality of friends, family and people I didn't know with a dash of my own survival skills and whole lot of God's provision

And that's where I am today. Well technically I'm in Tilburg, but I'll get to that next time. Emotionally, for lack of a better word, where I am is in a state of having two basic desires:

1) to stay in Europe as long as possible and continue exploring, making friends, seeing new places
2) to not starve

Unfortunately these two desires get closer and closer to being mutually exclusive everyday... a dichotomy of desires, if you will. You see, there will come a point when the funds completely run dry and I can stay and not eat, or return and eat. Hopefully that time doesn't come before March 30 because on that day, I'm coming home. That's right, I officially have a ticket back. I can't decide if I liked it better when I didn't know when the end was coming or now that I know exactly how much time I have left. Whatever the case, I've had a great time and hope to soak up these last few weeks.

And when I do come back--Applebees on Hillsborough when simon gets off work.

Pictures of Amsterdam and Tilburg coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment