Monday 24 January 2011

Goodbye England. Hellooo waffles.


"You know, if you perform you get in free."

This changed everything. My debate whether I should spend £4 (a significant amount of money to me these days) to go to Catweazle, an open mic type event that sounded really interesting, was instantly settled. I'd just perform... But what?

Unless you've been the recipient of one, you might not know that occasionally I write poems. Nothing sappy or deep or lovey, so hopefully I dont lose any man cards for the fact, usually just a light hearted, 20ish line rhyming poem.

Sorted, as they'd say here--I'd write a poem. We get back to the house and I have an hour to whip up a poem and eat. I tell myself I´m not gonna eat until the poem is done which is plenty enough motivation to write fast.

Performers had to arrive an hour early so I get dropped off at the place and go in, put my name on the list and wait. An hour later the show starts and it's pretty good. There were stories read, poems recited, songs sang, etc. It was really cool actually.

Anyway after about an hour and a half, it was my turn.

"Ok next up, joining us for the first time, please welcome Austin to the stage"

The crowd roars... or more like purrs.

I uncrinkle my little piece of paper I had evidently been nervously folding and rolling in my hand for the past hour and a half, clear my throat, give a quick 10 second introduction, and dive in:

Welcome to Manchester, the pilot finally said
I'm here. I've arrived. I thought in my head
I stepped off the plane--let the adventures begin
The started sooner that I expected, customs wouldn't let me in
I know I dont have a return ticket and have only 30 pounds
But I just wanna travel, not work, as unbelievable as it sounds
After a 30 minute struggle she finally lets me through
Good morning England--How do you do?
Two days into travelling and I get some bad news
The student loan I was expecting won't be available to use
But I decide not to worry that my plans now have a glitch
Because I've learned something about life--sometimes she's a witch
In going place to place I've slept on beds couches and floors
People have been so happy to open their doors
I've seen different cities: York Manchester Newcastle
Everyone's been so nice. I haven't met one "astle"
It's warmer right now in Florida, we see a bit more of the sun
But I'll "warm up" to the weather soon--excuse the bad pun
I really like it here, as different as it may be
I'm starting to rather enjoy my morning cup of tea
The sport you call football you actually play with your feet
And I've noticed that every single person drives on the wrong side of the street
Anyway as I continue my travels, embracing the unforeseen
I'll leave you with a "cheers mate" and a "God save the queen!"


They applaud. I return to my seat, exhale and enjoy the rest of the free entertainment--my favorite kind.

Tomorrow, my time in England comes to an end. I went from Manchester to Newcastle to York to London to Oxford and enjoyed every minute. In just a few hours I´ll get on a bus to Brussels, Belgium. 

Goodbye, England. Hellooo waffles.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had your life right now. I am determined to backpack across Europe now. Have fun. More pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Dana, dunno about that office manager nonsense...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely should! It's been incredible so far

    ReplyDelete
  4. my bday def wont be the same without a legendary mr princess rap :(

    ReplyDelete